In 1928, the Brothers of Charity travelled to South Africa to start with education. Because of the apartheid regime, they opened two schools: ‘Pax College’ for the black community and ‘College of the Little Flower’ for the white community, both in Pietersburg. The school for the white population was later transferred to Klerksdorp, where the brothers founded ‘Saint Conrad’s College’. Both schools were later opened to both communities.
For some time, the brothers were involved in the organization of a school for deaf children in Soweto, the largest township in Johannesburg. Starting from the Congregation’s own charism, and following a long period in mainstream education, the brothers set up care for people with intellectual disabilities in Klerksdorp, where they established the ‘Triest Training Centre’, which they founded in 1998. In 2001, they opened ‘Thandanani Centre’ for the support of chronic psychiatric patients in Florida, near Johannesburg.
Today, the brothers serve in Florida, Klerksdorp, and Polokwane, formerly Pietersburg.